Brian J. Cardott, M.S., C.C.G., is currently Chair of the EMD Honors and Awards Committee. He has served EMD as President (2004-2005), Vice President (2000-2001), Secretary (1998-2000), Mid-Continent Section Councilor (1994-1998) and as Chair of the Gas Shale (2006-2010), Nominations (2005-2006), and Website (2003-2006) committees. He compiled the first edition of the EMD Procedures Manual (1997). He is AAPG DPA Certified Coal Geologist 18.
Cardott has been an organic petrologist at the Oklahoma Geological Survey since 1981 and the coal geologist since 1996. Over nearly three decades he has worked on projects related to coal, coalbed methane, shale gas & liquids, unconventional energy resources, hydrocarbon source rocks, solid hydrocarbons, organic weathering, and graptolite reflectance. He has published more than 30 articles and books on these subjects, the most notable of which are:
- Cardott, B.J., K.L. Avary, K.A. Bowker, T.C. Chidsey, Jr., W.B. Harrison, III, J.N. McCracken, C.D. Morgan, and D.E. Tabet, 2009, Gas shale, in AAPG EMD, Unconventional energy resources: 2007-2008 review: Natural Resources Research, v. 18, p. 65-83.
- Cardott, B.J., 2008, Understanding gains on ‘new’ reservoir; shales closing ‘conventional’ gas: AAPG Explorer, v. 29, no. 11, p. 78, 75.
- Paxton, S.T., and B.J. Cardott, 2008, Oklahoma gas shales field trip, October 21 & 23, 2008: OGS Open File Report 2-2008, 110 p.
- Cardott, B.J., 2006, Gas shales tricky to understand: AAPG Explorer, v. 27, no. 11, p. 49, 48.
- Cardott, B.J., 2005, Overview of unconventional energy resources of Oklahoma, in B.J. Cardott, ed., Unconventional energy resources in the southern Midcontinent, 2004 symposium: OGS Circular 110, p. 7-18.
- Cardott, B.J., 2005, Coalbed-methane activity in Oklahoma, 2004 update, in B.J. Cardott, ed., Unconventional energy resources in the southern Midcontinent, 2004 symposium: OGS Circular 110, p. 69-81.
- Cardott, B.J., 2002, Coalbed methane development in Oklahoma, in S.D. Schwochow and V.F. Nuccio, eds., Coalbed methane of North America II: Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists, p. 83-98.
- Boyd, D., and B. Cardott, 2001, Oklahoma’s energy landscape: OGS Information Series 9, 15 p.
- Andrews, R. D., B. J. Cardott, and T. Storm, 1998, The Hartshorne play in southeastern Oklahoma: regional and detailed sandstone reservoir analysis and coalbed-methane resources: OGS Special Publication 98-7, 90 p.
- Cardott, B. J., 1994, Thermal maturity of surface samples from the frontal and central belts, Ouachita Mountains, Oklahoma, in N. H. Suneson and L. A. Hemish, eds., Geology and resources of the eastern Ouachita Mountains frontal belt and southeastern Arkoma basin, Oklahoma: OGS Guidebook 29, p. 271–276.
- Lo, H. B., and B. J. Cardott, 1994, Detection of natural weathering of Upper McAlester coal and Woodford Shale, Oklahoma, U.S.A.: Organic Geochemistry, v. 22, p. 73–83.
- Cardott, B. J., and J. R. Chaplin, 1993, Guidebook for selected stops in the western Arbuckle Mountains, southern Oklahoma: OGS Special Publication 93-3, 55 p.
- Finkelman, R. B., and B. J. Cardott, 1993, Trace-element content of solid hydrocarbons from Oklahoma: OGS Oklahoma Geology Notes, v. 53, no. 4, p. 136–143.
- Cardott, B. J., T. E. Ruble, and N. H. Suneson, 1993, Nature of migrabitumen and their relation to regional thermal maturity, Ouachita Mountains, Oklahoma: Energy Sources, v. 15, p. 239–267.
- Johnson, K. S., and B. J. Cardott, 1992, Geologic framework and hydrocarbon source rocks of Oklahoma, in K. S. Johnson and B. J. Cardott, eds., Source rocks in the southern Midcontinent, 1990 symposium: OGS Circular 93, p. 21–37.
- Cardott, B. J., and M. A. Kidwai, 1991, Graptolite reflectance as a potential thermal-maturation indicator, in K. S. Johnson, ed., Late Cambrian–Ordovician geology of the southern Midcontinent, 1989 symposium: OGS Circular 92, p. 203–209.
- Cardott, B. J., 1991, Organic petrology of epi-impsonite at Page, Oklahoma, U.S.A.: Organic Geochemistry, v. 17, no. 2, p. 185–191.
- Cardott, B. J., 1990, Petrology of five principal commercial coal beds of Oklahoma, in R. B. Finkelman, S. A. Friedman, and J. R. Hatch, eds., Coal geology of the Interior Coal Province, western region: Environmental and Coal Associates, Reston, Virginia, p. 185–199.
- Cardott, B. J., W. J. Metcalf, III, and J. L. Ahern, 1990, Thermal maturation by vitrinite reflectance of Woodford Shale near Washita Valley fault, Arbuckle Mountains, Oklahoma, in V. F. Nuccio and C. E. Barker, eds., Applications of thermal maturity studies to energy exploration: S.E.P.M. Rocky Mountain Section, p. 139–146.
- Cardott, B. J., 1989, A petrographic survey of high-volatile bituminous Oklahoma coal beds: OGS Oklahoma Geology Notes, v. 49, no. 4, p. 112–124.
- Cardott, B. J., 1989, Thermal maturation of the Woodford Shale in the Anadarko basin, in K. S. Johnson, ed., Anadarko Basin Symposium, 1988: OGS Circular 90, p. 32–46.
- Cardott, B. J., Hemish, L. A., Johnson, C. R., and Luza, K. V., 1986, The relationship between coal rank and present geothermal gradient in the Arkoma basin, Oklahoma: OGS Special Publication 86–4, 65 p.
- Cardott, B. J., and Lambert, M. W., 1985, Thermal maturation by vitrinite reflectance of Woodford Shale, Anadarko basin, Oklahoma: AAPG Bulletin, v. 69, no. 11, p. 1982–1998.
Cardott received a Bachelor’s degree in geology from the University of Illinois-Urbana in 1977, and a Master’s degree in geology from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale in 1981. In addition to the AAPG, he is a member of and active in several geological societies: The Society for Organic Petrology (President, 1995-1996; Vice President, 1991-1992), International Committee for Coal and Organic Petrology, Geological Society of America (Coal Geology Division Member-at-Large, 1989-1991), Oklahoma City Geological Society, and Tulsa Geological Society.
He has received the following honors and awards:
- TSOP Certificate of Appreciation, 2002
- TSOP Distinguished Service Award, 2004
- AAPG EMD Past President’s Award, 2006
- AAPG EMD Distinguished Service Award, 2007