Jack C. Pashin. Ph.D., P.G. is serving as the chair of the EMD Publications Committee and has served as co-chair of the EMD Coalbed Methane Committee and as chair of the EMD Coal Committee. He has served as Vice President of the EMD, and as an Associate Editor of the AAPG Bulletin.
He is the Devon Chair of Basin Research at Oklahoma State University’s Boone Pickens School of Geology. Over the past two decades, Pashin has published numerous papers on the geology of conventional and unconventional hydrocarbon reservoirs and carbon sinks, the most notable of which are:
- Esposito, R. A., Pashin, J. C., and Walsh, P. M., 2008, Citronelle Dome: A giant opportunity for multi-zone carbon storage and enhanced oil recovery in the Mississippi Interior salt basin of Alabama: Environmental Geosciences, v. 15, pp. 53-62.
- Grobe, M., Pashin, J. C., and Dodge, R. L., eds., 2009, Carbon dioxide sequestration in geological media—State of the science: AAPG Studies in Geology 59, 715 p.
- Pashin, J. C., 1998, Stratigraphy and structure of coalbed methane reservoirs in the United States: an overview: International Journal of Coal Geology, v. 35, pp. 207-238.
- ___2007, Hydrodynamics of coalbed methane reservoirs in the Black Warrior Basin: key to understanding reservoir performance and environmental issues: Applied Geochemistry, v. 22, pp. 2257-2272.
- ___2008, Coal as a petroleum source rock and reservoir rock, in Ruiz, I. S., and Crelling, J. C., eds., Applied Coal Petrology—The Role of Petrology in Coal Utilization: Amsterdam, Elsevier, pp. 227-262.
- Greb, S. F., Pashin, J. C., Martino, R. L., and Eble, C. F., 2008, Appalachian sedimentary cycles during the Pennsylvanian: Changing influences of sea level, climate, and tectonics, in Fielding, C. R., Frank, T. D., and Isbell, J. L., eds., Resolving the late Paleozoic ice age in time and space: Geological Society of America Special Paper 441, pp. 235-248.
- Groshong, R. H., Jr., Pashin, J. C., McIntyre, M. R., 2009, Structural controls on fractured coal reservoirs in the southern Appalachian Black Warrior foreland basin: Journal of Structural Geology, v. 31, pp. 874-886,
- Pashin, J. C., and Ettensohn, F. R., 1995, Reevaluation of the Bedford-Berea sequence in Ohio and adjacent states: forced regression in a foreland basin: Geological Society of America Special Paper 298, 68 p.
- Pashin, J. C., and Gastaldo, R. A., eds., 2004, Sequence stratigraphy, paleoclimate, and tectonics of coal-bearing strata: AAPG Studies in Geology 51, 238 p.
- Pashin, J. C., and Groshong, R. H., Jr., 1998, Structural control of coalbed methane production in Alabama: International Journal of Coal Geology, v. 38, pp. 89-113.
- Pashin, J. C., Guohai Jin, and Payton, J. W., 2004, Three-dimensional computer models of natural and induced fractures in coalbed methane reservoirs of the Black Warrior basin: Alabama Geological Survey Bulletin 174, 62 p.
- Pashin, J. C., and Hinkle, Frank, 1997, Coalbed methane in Alabama: Alabama Geological Survey Circular 192, 71 p.
- Pashin, J. C., and McIntyre, M. R., 2003, Temperature-pressure conditions in coalbed methane reservoirs of the Black Warrior basin, Alabama, U.S.A: implications for carbon sequestration and enhanced coalbed methane recovery: International Journal of Coal Geology, v. 54, pp. 167-183.
- Pashin, J. C., Raymond, D. E., Alabi, G. G., Groshong, R. H., Jr., and Guohai Jin, 2000, Revitalizing Gilbertown oil field: Characterization of fractured chalk and glauconitic sandstone reservoirs in an extensional fault system: Alabama Geological Survey Bulletin 168, 81 p.
- Pitman, J. K., Pashin, J. C., Hatch, J. R., and Goldhaber, M. B., 2003, Origin of minerals in joint and cleat systems of the Pottsville Formation, Black Warrior basin, Alabama: implications for coalbed methane generation and production: AAPG Bulletin, v. 87, pp. 713-731.
Pashin has received a number of honors and awards for his research, such as:
- Award of Excellence for “Top 10” Presentation, AAPG Annual Convention and Exposition, New Orleans, Louisiana (2010).
- Ralph Miller Best Paper Award, AAPG Eastern Section Annual Meeting, Lexington, Kentucky (2007).
- Distinguished Service Award, AAPG Energy Minerals Division (2006).
- AAPG Haas-Pratt Distinguished Lecturer (2004-2005).
- Frank Kottlowski Memorial Presentation Award (Best Paper) (awarded to J. C. Pashin, M. R. McIntyre, and R. E. Carroll), AAPG Annual Meeting, Energy Minerals Division, Salt Lake City, Utah (2003).
- Keynote Lecturer, XV International Congress on Carboniferous and Permian Stratigraphy, Utrecht, The Netherlands (2003).
- State Geologist's Award for distinguished service, Geological Survey of Alabama (2000).
- Best Poster Award (awarded to J. C. Pashin and R. E. Carroll), AAPG, Energy Minerals Division (1993).
- George W. Pirtle Award for exceptional professional promise in the geological sciences, University of Kentucky (1987).
He received a Bachelor’s degree in geology from Bradley University in 1982, and Master’s and Ph.D. degrees in geology from the University of Kentucky in 1985 and 1990, respectively. Pashin has been active in several sister geological societies and committees, such as:
- Chair of the GSA Coal Geology Division’s Antoinette Lierman Medlin Scholarship Committee, and
- Editorial Board of the International Journal of Coal Geology.
- President, Alabama Geological Society (2002-2004).
Pashin is licensed as a Professional Geologist in the State of Alabama.